On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:33:48AM +0300, Alan Orth wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone sets memory limits for DSpace's various cron jobs?

As delivered, DSpace does that itself.  In bin/dspace, around line 69,
the script sets a maximum heap size of 256 MB, *unless* you already
have JAVA_OPTS set.  One thing you might check is whether there is
already a JAVA_OPTS value which sets substantially higher limits for
any of Java's memory pools.

> Lately we've been having Tomcat's java process get killed every morning
> around the same time, and all dmesg shows is that "java" was killed by
> the kernel's OOM killer.  Catalina logs don't show any "SEVERE" errors,
> so I have to assume it's the cron jobs which are using up loads of
> memory and then confusing the kernel, which then identifies Tomcat's
> java as the memory hog and kills it.

The kernel's notion of the best candidate for the OOM Killer probably
has less to do with fixing blame than with recovering a big hunk of
memory, making Tomcat a tempting target no matter which process you
think is at fault.

> So I'm just curious if anyone has had these kinds of problems, and
> if/what they set their JAVA_OPTS to in crontab.

If you set JAVA_OPTS globally in crontab, I would suggest moving that
to individual commands (or scripts that they run) as needed, and
tuning each one to its actual needs.  I haven't tried to profile
memory usage on commandline Java app.s yet, so I have no specific
advice here.

What limits have you set for Tomcat?  It's easy to find poor advice on
this -- I've passed along some myself -- and give Tomcat far *more*
than it needs.  I hope you're keeping an eye on Tomcat's actual memory
usage and tuning it appropriately.  (I have a weekly reminder to snoop
on this with my favorite tool:  Psi Probe.)

> The long term plan of course is to move to a machine with more memory
> (currently 4GB).

4GB should be plenty, unless you have many instances running
concurrently or a truly enormous collection.  Other applications, the
DBMS, etc. will have some impact on that, of course.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.