Trevor,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I'm still trying to catch up on
email since the Open Repositories conference earlier this month.

I've cleaned up the documentation a bit:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Metadata+Recommendations

Setting "dc.date.issued" to "today" only really works when you are using
SWORD or external tools to submit data.

If you are mostly submitting from the web UI, your best bet is to likely
re-enable the "Initial Questions" page (see above docs for the link).
This lets submitters tell you if the item was published or not. If it
was not published before, then the "dc.date.issued" will be auto-set to
today's date.

By default, in DSpace 4.0, the "Initial Questions" page is disabled.
This means that the 'dc.date.issued' field is REQUIRED to be entered for
every submission (i.e. it'll never be empty, and it will never be
automatically set to today's date -- the submitter must manually choose
the appropriate date)

Hopefully this makes sense, and meets your use cases. If you need to
configure DSpace in some other way, you may need to write a custom
Submission step to do so. But, feel free to ask more questions if this
isn't clear.

- Tim