For links sake, I found this SO post at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27277594/dspace-how-does-text-lang-get-set-during-item-submission

Yeah, as Mark's post mentions, there's languages all over the place. It
would be good if default.language got used in more places. We've had
librarians spending loads of time batchmetadata cleaning up their content.
I ended up just writing a SQL task that runs nightly via cron, to nuke the
languages.

Also, I've attempted to clean up MetadataExport to CSV to not include as
much junk, dc.date.submitted vs dc.date.submitted[], but I didn't tackle
cleaning up the import, so have to close that PR.
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/674

And Kostas, would like ItemImport to not apply a default language, if your
metadata doesn't specify.
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/772

Peter Dietz
Longsight