Ok, Try to install the following:

sudo apt-get install default-jdk default-jre

Also see: http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/Prepare_Ubuntu/S03

Cheers

hg

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1025C
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758