Hey Terry,

Me and my team are developing a VideoCourse plataform, called
"CursosAbertos", for our University (UFPR) totally based on DSpace
REST.

The design of the site is very poor because our first concern was to
make everything work on the background.

The site is already online, and you may access it via:
http://cursosabertos.c3sl.ufpr.br/
(Ps.: It is written on Portuguese (Brazil), because we are from
Brazil, and we haven't implemented US translation, sorry!!).

Click on "Setor de Ciências Exatas" to access the disciplines (all the
other sectors are empty).
Under disciplines you will find the Classes (Aulas).

You can access the code here:
https://gitlab.c3sl.ufpr.br/cursosabertos/cursosabertos
And the RubyGem that we created to talk to DSpace REST, here:
https://gitlab.c3sl.ufpr.br/bnzanette/dspace-rest-client/
And the dspace used, here: http://dscursosabertos.c3sl.ufpr.br:8080/xmlui/

There are some things that still need some work to work properly, like
Access Control. That's why you will find "Create" buttons on the page
even if you may not create stuff.
(Ps.: You may click it, but without a Dspace token account you won't
be able to post it).

Everything is working fine so far. We implemented an Item's
creation/edit page, navigation thorough Comm/Coll/Item, and every
single data displayed on the site comes from REST (text data).
The only catch is the video itself, that we had to make a copy on
other server to be able to stream it properly.

The next step is to make a RubyGem to interact with SOLR to be able to
do searches, and improve page's style.

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 02:22:54PM -0700, Terry Brady wrote:
>> We are running DSpace 4, and we are beginning to take advantage of the REST
>> API.
>>
>> Before we make the REST service available on our production instance, I am
>> curious to hear how other institutions have configured access to the API.
>> Have you deployed the API with access to any client, or do you restrict
>> access to specific hosts/clients?
>
> Here we're currently using a RemoteAddrValve to restrict it to
> internal use.  That's just me being conservative:  I had one use for
> it and opened up access only to the hosts which make that one use.
>
> --
> Mark H. Wood
> Lead Technology Analyst
>
> University Library
> Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis
> 755 W. Michigan Street
> Indianapolis, IN 46202
> 317-274-0749
> www.ulib.iupui.edu