Steve Bosshard wrote:

> It is sad that complexity excludes many would be users.

Especially since it's not that complex.  I don't know if this says
something about hams or just the population in general.  :-)

Jeff, KE9V had a nice podcast he'd done called "If we don't understand
it, we can just ignore it" that seemed to cover the reasons why the
general public has lost interest in anything technological that requires
more than two seconds of actual thought...

But it was an older podcast that isn't posted on his website at ke9v.net
anymore.  (At least that I can see.)  I have a copy of it *somewhere*
around here...

(A co-worker has this bumper-sticker:  "I haven't lost my mind, it's
backed up on a flash drive somewhere.")

While I think we should always strive to help anyone understand anything
they're confused about (as good Elmers), trying to "dumb down" D-STAR is
like trying to dumb down a phone call.  Neither one is all the
difficult, once you understand the underlying CONCEPTS.

 From a training perspective, the problem is this:  Many people are
task-oriented and because of that learning style, they want to know:

"What buttons do I push to talk to Australia?"

Instead the question should be:

"How does this system work so I can figure out what buttons to press for
myself."

Task-oriented learning styles are fine, but any flight instructor or
instructor of other complex things will tell you it takes LONGER to
teach a student who learns that way... because you have to repetitively
do the task over and over again, while continuously reinforcing the
"Why" question of why you're having them do that same task.  You do this
until they switch to asking "Why" themselves and reaching for the theory
and concepts underlying the task.  It takes a lot of time, and most of
us Elmers are time-strapped, since this is a hobby.

So I see it regularly... someone who would probably *enjoy* D-STAR quite
a bit if someone could get them "over the hump" in their learning curve
where they're stuck at "just show me how to work this radio"... that
personality type often drops out of any ham radio activity that requires
more than pressing the mash-to-mumble button.  It's not a sign that
they're "dumb" or "stupid", it's a sign that they learn differently.  A
very large percentage of the population learns this way, so it's not a
negative observation against the person, it's just normal.

Nate WY0X