John

Yes, but my thoughts are why use a relational database to do the job of a
Routing Protocol ?

Something like ISIS or OSPF is easily able to cope with the number of repeaters
and stations we have.  And having the Private IP Address space is actually
pretty good as we can keep it to an IP VPN.

I'd only be making a look-up between the callsign and an IP address. The actual
payload be-it UDP or TCP is pretty irrelevant; you just need to know how to get
from A to B which today is source-routed on G2.

DNS is scalable to the extent that we need as well (probably 4 servers
worldwide), plus the local machine could be a caching nameserver taking strain
off the central ones (which wouldn't actually be a strain at all given the low
numbers even if every Amateur in the world had D-Star).

I know of similar SQL-based routing systems that struggle to survive at the
10,000+ user level (I'll let you guess...) but IP routing at that sort of
figure is a walk-in-the-park.

If it was done properly, we could even get G2 callsign routing on DV-Dongles.

I'm going to put some ideas forward to the Trust Server team and see what they
think, but there certainly is a lot of scope for getting some real
experimentation back into Amateur Radio.  That alone is a very good thing in
these days of black-box radios IMHO.

73  David - G4ULF