dlake02 wrote:

> John
>
> Yes, but my thoughts are why use a relational database to do the job of
> a Routing Protocol ?
>
> Something like ISIS or OSPF is easily able to cope with the number of
> repeaters and stations we have. And having the Private IP Address space
> is actually pretty good as we can keep it to an IP VPN.
>
> I'd only be making a look-up between the callsign and an IP address. The
> actual payload be-it UDP or TCP is pretty irrelevant; you just need to
> know how to get from A to B which today is source-routed on G2.
>
> DNS is scalable to the extent that we need as well (probably 4 servers
> worldwide), plus the local machine could be a caching nameserver taking
> strain off the central ones (which wouldn't actually be a strain at all
> given the low numbers even if every Amateur in the world had D-Star).
>
> I know of similar SQL-based routing systems that struggle to survive at
> the 10,000+ user level (I'll let you guess...) but IP routing at that
> sort of figure is a walk-in-the-park.
>
> If it was done properly, we could even get G2 callsign routing on
> DV-Dongles.
>
> I'm going to put some ideas forward to the Trust Server team and see
> what they think, but there certainly is a lot of scope for getting some
> real experimentation back into Amateur Radio. That alone is a very good
> thing in these days of black-box radios IMHO.
>
> 73 David - G4ULF

I completely agree with you David. This is an IP networking
problem easily solved by a mixture of DNS and IP routing.
We do not even need to worry about IP mobility, at the mobility
rates we are talking here regular convergence would work.

I would partition the network into a mixture of IGP and BGP
just like the Internet. That allows you full scaling and
the ability to apply policy between the ASs.

Callsign migration time would be limited by the b/w of the
links used, but I would be disappointed if it were
over a second within an IGP.

I originally thought that this would need routing protocol
enhancements, but on thinking about it, from a
network perspective it would work right out of the box.

Stewart/G3YSX