> Hello all,
> my name is Allan. i currently have the IC-92AD. the D-STAR repeater
> around me does Not have Gateway enabled. My question is, If I get the DV
> Dongle or make one, can i still use the Gateway if i have the DVAP or
> homebrew dongle? i really want to get on D-Star but still learning about
> the radio. please help me thanks,
>                                Allan May, WD4ITE EC Mathews Co, VA

Hi Allan, and welcome to D-STAR.  If you get a DV Dongle or a DVAP, then
you won't need your local gateway.  You'll be able to directly connect
over the internet to any D-STAR reflector, or to any D-STAR repeater that
is connected to a gateway that runs dplus.  That would be almost all of
the D-STAR repeaters outside of Japan.

If you use a DV Dongle, then you'll be able to connect using the
computer.  You would use a headset or a microphone and speakers connected
to the computer.  If you use a DVAP, then you'll be able to use your 92AD
around the house to talk to the DVAP, which will then connect using the
computer.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion!

73,
- Rob W7GH

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional