From: John D. Hays <j...@hays.org>
Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] DVAP Help
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 10:37 PM

On 8/28/2010 9:28 AM, AllanM wrote:

Hello all,
my name is Allan. i currently have the IC-92AD. the D-STAR repeater around me
does Not have Gateway enabled. My question is, If I get the DV Dongle or make
one, can i still use the Gateway if i have the DVAP or homebrew dongle? i
really want to get on D-Star but still learning about the radio. please help me
thanks,
Allan May, WD4ITE EC Mathews Co, VA
Since you already have a radio, go with the DVAP or a DVAR Hotspot, then you
are not tethered to the keyboard at the computer.

DVAP - http://www.dvapdongle.com/DV_Access_Point_Dongle/Home.html (Good for
around the house, hotel room, etc. plugs into USB port, small, neat, package)

DVAR Hotspot - http://w9arp.com/hotspot/ and http://enicomms.com -- a little
more work to get the pieces together and setup, but you can provide wider area
coverage for yourself and others using a higher power radio and antenna.

Lastly, for not a lot more money you can build a full repeater and run Hotspot
or soon to be released software (http://g4ulf.blogspot.com or open_g2, see
http://k7ve.org/blog/2010/06/converting-the-kenwood-tkr-820-to-use-with-d-star/

Pick your level of interest and enjoy D-STAR.   (I manage a full Icom D-STAR
stack 2m, 70cm, 23cm, and 23cm DD, but also am enjoying experimenting on my
homebrew repeater.)

--

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE