Michael Riepe wrote
> Hi!
>
> Which version do you use, how are the values of $LANG, $LC_CTYPE and
> $LC_ALL, which file system type, which mount options, and how is the
> filename encoded?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> echo $LC_TYPE

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> echo $LC_ALL

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK6717463-part1
/media/video215 ext3 defaults 1 2

I use OpenSuse 11.0, so the file names are encoded using UTF-8, I
suppose. Btw., the mentioned behaviour happens with the latest release
version. I didn't try the SVN version yet. I'll do it as soon as I have
time. I also want to take a look at the sources to see how file names
are handled. I thought there is a way to query the system for the
character encoding used for file names of a given partition. Or isn't it
some kernel parameter? Does the handling of non-ASCII file names work on
your system?