On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 12:25:19PM +0100, Michael Riepe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 12/01/10 11:55, James Cameron wrote:
> > I'm using dvbcut from Debian, package version 0.5.4+svn20090714-0.2,
> > though the window title says 0.6.0-release/166 ...
>
> Then Debian messed up the package version, or you have two versions of
> the program installed.

I agree, it is odd.  I was using my own build of dvbcut some months ago,
but moved to the Debian package once it caught up.  The checksum
of/usr/bin/dvbcut matches the package now, according to debsums.

> > and noticed that
> > using the arrow keys to move becomes much more responsive if I first use
> > the play and then stop buttons.
>
> You mean, the autorepeat is getting faster?

The response is faster.

I've autorepeat on the X server set to 35 repeats per second, different
to the default.  This is configured using "xset r".

Then I use tab to place the focus over the first of the two positioning
bars; the linear one.  Then left and right arrow keys can be used, with
or without modifiers;

- left and right, large jump,
- shift left and right, medium jump,
- control left and right, frame by frame jump.

Normal situation:

- dvbcut does not keep up with the control left and right arrow
  keystrokes if they are provided at the autorepeat rate,

- there is no blink between frames,

- the keystrokes are buffered and once the key is released dvbcut takes
  some time to catch up,

- the time taken increases in relation to the time the key was held
  down.

As a result, one learns to not allow autorepeat to occur.

Unusual situation, after using play and then stop:

- dvbcut does keep up,

- there is a momentary blackness in the content drawing area before the
  next frame is displayed.

> > Is there a way to cause this without pressing play and then stop?  Any
> > ideas as to why this might be happening?
>
> Well, play/stop uses MPlayer, an external program. Perhaps that changes
> the keyboard's configuration.

Yes, I thought of that, but I thought MPlayer was stopped after the stop
key was pressed.  It seems a side-effect of using MPlayer, but running
MPlayer outside dvbcut doesn't change the symptom.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/