Hi!

On 12/01/10 23:41, James Cameron wrote:
[...]
>>> and noticed that
>>> using the arrow keys to move becomes much more responsive if I first use
>>> the play and then stop buttons.
>>
>> You mean, the autorepeat is getting faster?
>
> The response is faster.
>
> I've autorepeat on the X server set to 35 repeats per second, different
> to the default.  This is configured using "xset r".

Sounds reasonable.

> Then I use tab to place the focus over the first of the two positioning
> bars; the linear one.  Then left and right arrow keys can be used, with
> or without modifiers;
>
> - left and right, large jump,
> - shift left and right, medium jump,
> - control left and right, frame by frame jump.
>
> Normal situation:
>
> - dvbcut does not keep up with the control left and right arrow
>   keystrokes if they are provided at the autorepeat rate,
>
> - there is no blink between frames,
>
> - the keystrokes are buffered and once the key is released dvbcut takes
>   some time to catch up,
>
> - the time taken increases in relation to the time the key was held
>   down.
>
> As a result, one learns to not allow autorepeat to occur.
>
> Unusual situation, after using play and then stop:
>
> - dvbcut does keep up,
>
> - there is a momentary blackness in the content drawing area before the
>   next frame is displayed.

I can only guess here. Perhaps the reasons is that mplayer has read from
the file - which means that a significant portion, starting before or at
the current position, is cached afterwards. And since RAM is way faster
than disk, it doesn't take so long to decode the frames. When you move
farther, dvbcut should slow down again.

>>> Is there a way to cause this without pressing play and then stop?  Any
>>> ideas as to why this might be happening?
>>
>> Well, play/stop uses MPlayer, an external program. Perhaps that changes
>> the keyboard's configuration.
>
> Yes, I thought of that, but I thought MPlayer was stopped after the stop
> key was pressed.  It seems a side-effect of using MPlayer, but running
> MPlayer outside dvbcut doesn't change the symptom.

Maybe because it starts reading from the beginning of the file in that case.

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <mich...@mr511.de>