At 14:17 10/23/2011, Elmar PD3EM wrote:
A lot of chances to work a DX or DX-pedition are ruined by "hams" that don't listen before they TX.

Here's a mail I sent to my local club and NCDXC a few days after Pacificon:

The reminder to LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN that I was given at Pacificon worked great for me this AM. T32C was on 40m SSB and had a pretty good pileup. 40m does not work well for me, I think it is a feed-line issue because my screwdriver tunes beautifully on all bands but 40m. Anyway, hearing the pileup made me think my best strategy was to listen, and I started to hear him complaining about his QSOs getting QRMed by other deserving calling and calling. Then he said, "Give me a second, I am going to check around". He had been working simplex and I took this as a clue he was planning to start working split. So I set my radio to split and VFO A to his old frequency, and the mouse cross hairs (I run a flex3K) to VFO B. When he came back he said "I am going to start working split, QSX 7180" and in 2-3 seconds I clicked on 7180 and hit the foot pedal, he came back as I was the only one that fast and I got him first call (can't use my amp on 40m, the SWR is too high). It was a delight and a triumph for LISTENING. Thank you all.....

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     Programming since 1959
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html