This is conjecture on my part but I believe a lot of this comes from
QRZ.COM as I often find their information incorrect. I don't know where
this information comes from but it looks like they use the center of the
ZIP code for US stations or the center of the country for DX. I usually
ask the DX I work for their grid square and check it against QRZ.COM. If
it differs, I ask the DX to correct it. In these days of the internet,
I find that, info correct or not, propagates quickly to every corner of
the globe!

73, Roger