From: Jim Reisert AD1C [mailto:jjreis...@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 15:49
To: Jim
Cc: DX4WIN Reflector
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] DX4WIN Grid vs LOTW

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 8:00 AM Jim KS1J wrote:

> Every time I do a periodic import from LOTW there are a number of IMPORT
> errors on the Grid Locator. How does this happen?
>
> That is, where does DX4WIN get a Grid Locator that differs from what is
> downloaded from LOTW? (The mismatch occurs for stations never worked
> before). I must be missing something.

Hi Jim,

I believe I've seen this as well.  It's especially bad when I work a
station on FT8 and log the grid square as sent, yet the confirmation
from LoTW has a different grid.  I do not know which one to believe.
There is more than one case where the state and county match the LoTW
confirmation, but the grid logged during the QSO is not even in that
state!  The mismatch between FT8 and LoTW is the most blatant example.

Regarding your case, my suspicion is that since you previously
downloaded confirmations from LoTW, you received two confirmations
from the same station with two different grid squares, and the LoTW
report contains both of them.  If the grid square is different, for
example, the user realized s/he made a mistake, corrected it, and
uploaded his/her log again.  Then DX4WIN receives two confirmations.
The first fills in the empty grid square, and the second mismatches.
The only way to prove this would be to examine the LoTW report
downloaded from ARRL, to see if the same QSO appears in the download
twice.

Here is one experiment you could try:

1.  Export your log to ADIF.

2.  Edit the ADIF file using a text editor.   Find all occurrences of
"<GRIDSQUARE:" and change it to some nonsense name.  This will
effective erase that field from all QSOs.

3.  Create a new (empty) log in DX4WIN, and import the ADIF from above.

4.  Using Multiple QSO Operations, erase the LoTW flag, Upload Date
and LoTW Cnfm flag.

5.  Using Multiple QSO Operations, Remove Import Notes.  Repeat #5
until an F8 search for the word "Import" in the "Notes for this QSO"
field does not find anything.

6.  Finally, Confirm LoTW using ADIF file, using the LoTW Report file
you downloaded.

Take note of which QSOs result in import errors ({Grid=XXnn}),
especially those for which there is only QSO with that station.  Then
you can look at the LoTW report in a text editor and search for
instances of that call, to see if it occurs multiple times.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us