Dear Friends,

As of right now, I am recommending to all customers and all
vendors that you make use of alternatives to the US Postal
Service if at all possible.  We have been experiencing
unreasonable and unacceptable delays, and can no longer
suggest that use of postal services may result in useful
results.

For example, we have received mail bearing internal dates
of 4 June 2002 and received on 17 June 2002.

For example, we have sent by first class mail, using a
printed mailing label (supposed to speed delivery), from
Houston, Texas  to Austin, Texas.  This money order was
sent on 24 May 2002 and received not earlier than 14 June
2002.

While I am aware that various issues, such as idiotic
repressive responses to anthrax and supposed threats of
terrorist acts from anti-government types, as well as the
need to monitor all mail, including frequent transgressions
against Fourth Amendment guarantees of individual liberty,
make it impossible for the US Postal Disservice to provide
"first class" service in a first class fashion, the current
level of US Snail service has become ridiculous.  It is
irresponsible to advocate its use.

We get slightly better results from Priority Mail.  The
standard for Priority Mail delivery used to be two days,
but these same bozos at the US Post Awful are now taking
up to five days, without repentance.  On the other hand,
that would seem to be sixteen days faster than "first
class" mail delivery.  For $3.50, a bit more than ten times
a 34 cent first class stamp, one would think that Priority
Mail would arrive ten times faster, but it only arrives in
one-third the time rather than one-tenth.  Oh, well.

Just to rub salt in the wound, the supposedly impartial
commission that is supposedly providing oversight on matters
of postal pricing has "agreed" that first class stamps
shall cost 37 cents or 38 cents later this month.  I
am not amused.

What do you expect from monopoly providers?  Well, the
Supreme Court decision making it acceptable for the Congress
to ban alternative mail delivery was made in 1844, so I
don't anticipate any solution sooner than the next available
revolution (due after the next available sixty year economic
depression, I suppose).

On the plus side, there is DHL.  We can arrange express
delivery, overnight, to any address in the United States,
for $11.

So, if you have bills to pay, and you really want results,
I'd recommend you have us send your goldchex by DHL.

Regards,

Jim
 http://cambist.net/