On 3/2/2020 8:11 AM, Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> we have a problem with the combination of i40e on Linux (PF) and ixlv on
> FreeBSD (VF).
> On the host (bare metal, running KVM), the PF is configured with
> vf-true-promisc-support on and spoof-check disabled, trust enabled.
>
> The actual problem I am seeing is that return packets to a virtual IP/MAC
> (running CARP on FreeBSD) does not reach the system. I.e. for a ping I see
> the echo request going out, but it there is no response. On the guest system
> FreeBSD, looking at tcpdump I can see the echo request in the dump, but not
> the reply. However, on the host system (Linux) I can see on the PF that the
> echo request is actually coming back, destined to the virtual (CARP) MAC
> address. For some reason it is not sent to the VF however. My assumption is
> that this happens due to filtering on the PF, but with above settings
> (vf-true-promisc-support on, spoof-check disabled, trust enabled) I would
> expect the VF to see the return packets.

I've asked a few folks who work on the FreeBSD drivers, and they've said
that ixlv is fairly old, and that you should be using iavf. What version
of FreeBSD are you using?

The engineer also suggested to confirm that promiscuous mode is on in
the VF. Use of vf-true-promisc-support doesn't necessarily make the VF
device go into promiscuous mode. If you're using a MAC address that the
PF doesn't know about it would get filtered and dropped without going to
the VF VSI.

Can you confirm if this still occurs after changing the VF to request
being in promiscuous mode?

Thanks,
Jake