From: Christian Tramnitz <tramn...@trasec.de>
Sent: Monday, March 2, 2020 8:11 AM
To: e1000-de...@lists.sf.net
Subject: [E1000-devel] i40e virtual MAC on VF issue

Hello,

we have a problem with the combination of i40e on Linux (PF) and ixlv on
FreeBSD (VF).
On the host (bare metal, running KVM), the PF is configured with
vf-true-promisc-support on and spoof-check disabled, trust enabled.

The actual problem I am seeing is that return packets to a virtual IP/MAC
(running CARP on FreeBSD) does not reach the system. I.e. for a ping I see the
echo request going out, but it there is no response. On the guest system
FreeBSD, looking at tcpdump I can see the echo request in the dump, but not the
reply. However, on the host system (Linux) I can see on the PF that the echo
request is actually coming back, destined to the virtual (CARP) MAC address.
For some reason it is not sent to the VF however. My assumption is that this
happens due to filtering on the PF, but with above settings
(vf-true-promisc-support on, spoof-check disabled, trust enabled) I would
expect the VF to see the return packets.

This happens regardless of the MAC for the VF defined by the PF or not.

The Linux system has been tested with two drivers versions: 2.8.20-k and the
latest (2.10.19.82)

Please advise.

Best regards,
   Christian Tramnitz