Good one Todd, thanks for nimbly addressing that heavy dose of sexist
thinking.

To the issue of "child safety."  We throw around that phrase as if it is a
neutral, objective term, and we are all in assumed agreement on what that
means.  Not so in a society where schools are requiring children to wear
bike helmets on the school jungle gym.  Our tolerance for and perception of
risk is cultural.  Cesarean Rates US 32 percent, Netherlands 14 percent.
There is no one standard of safety.  That is why we attempt to leave some
decisions to the judgment of the person making the decision on their own or
their dependent's behalf.

What if we privileged communities of trained and in-training
scientists/academics, that supported all sorts of work/life balance, for
all stages of a "normal" professional lifespan, gender, age, and disability
issues notwithstanding, and it became the norm for us to commit to each
other and not just to our data collection.  We would just get on with it
when women or men needed to rearrange their schedules, and our labs and
fields and classrooms would be richer for such a commitment.
Claudia

--
Claudia J. Ford
cf...@antioch.edu <claudiajf...@gmail.com>

401-215-4774

*"If you want to walk fast - walk alone; if you want to walk far - walk
together." African Proverb*
**