The federal hiring process has three major stumbling blocks. It used
to have four.
Not that long ago (3-4 yrs) most of the screenig was done by HR folks
with no background in ecology/biology.
Today, they only check for very basic things and then it is shipped
off to the hiring official.
The other three are problems for a lot of people.
first, military folks get extra points. (if you are 4F or such, your
out of luck even if rejected).
Second, internal hires will always have an up because they know the
system better (I'm talking government internal workings, not hiring
system [although that is true too!]).
Third, you are going up against a lot of very well qualified people.

The bad thing about government jobs is that you may not have academic
freedom to say or do what you want (this is not universal).  However,
the pay is very good, the co-workers are generally intelligent and
well-qualified.   There are trade-offs between university research and
government research posts.

YOu don't have to teach, even if at a university, this can be a plus
for some, a negative for others.
I have a LOT of friends working in the government (Feds/state) and
frankly, I think a lot of the perception regarding positions that are
filled before advertising is wrong, at least at the GS13 or below.  If
they were, I would never have interviewed for any, and I have
interviewed for a fer GS13s, turned one down in Washington DC after
having visited and realized just how urban it was!  (ICK!).  Seems
like I interviewed for half a dozen positions in ecotox, wildlife
conservation, and such over the years, but I cannot recall the exact
numbers.  I remember being offered one that I was ready to take and it
got axed by budgets at the last minute too.  That was very
disappointing.

You have to apply A LOT to get an interview, and don't think it goes
to the most qualified applicant, if they don't like the field, they
will re-open it and do regularly!!!

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not