As a federal employee who does hiring occasionally, I can vouch for the "third"
stumbling block below - lots of qualified people.  With the advent of
electronic hiring (in the past, you had to mail in a hard copy of your
application), I would get 5-7 applicants for most of the positions that I
advertised.  The first time I advertised electronically, I received 55
applications for a similar position.  It is so much easier for folks to apply
electronically and easier for them to find out about vacancies now, that the
number of applicants has increased markedly.

I had an experience applying for a high-level park service job a few years ago
at the GS-12 level.  The job description was not standard, and I felt I had a
good chance of meeting the requirements and that there wouldn't be much
competition - I learned after the vacancy closed that there had been over 100
applicants.

Even if you have veteran's preference, that is no longer a guarantee that you
will get hired.  I had a temporary employee with veteran's preference from
Desert Storm - excellent employee, highly qualified.  He was highly ranked for
a number of permanent jobs, and when I would ask the person calling for
reference checks how likely it would be for him to get the job (I figured he
was a shoe-in with veteran's points), they routinely told me that he had
competition from at least 3-4 other highly qualified veterans.

I also recommend calling the listed person on the vacancy announcement - not
the HR person, but the position supervisor.  You can even send them your resume
directly or visit them.  That was always a positive thing when I was hiring.
If they took the time to do that, it helped me remember them better in the mass
of applications.  It also allows you to ask them questions about what skills
they are looking for, and this can also help you prepare your application.
Most applicants do not take that extra step.

Another thing that is commonly done in the Forest Service is if I apply for a
job and my current supervisor or line officer knows someone at the place where
the job is, they often make a phone call for you before the vacancy
announcement closes.  Even if they don't know someone, they will often call
their counterpart at the other office and put in a good word for you.  I don't
know if that helps or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  That person is also
usually able to find out if there is someone currently serving in the job
temporarily (and if they have also applied for the job), or if the job is being
restructured, why the last person in the job left, and other info that can be
helpful in completing your application.

Robyn Darbyshire, CF
Forest Silviculturist and Native Plant Materials Program Lead
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest
541-523-1255

please consider the environment before printing this email