To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] ENERGY Biofuels and their questionable potential Re: [ECOLOG-L] Switchgrass Conference September 2013

Personally, biofuels are a path to energy independence.
However, I do not agree with the mainstream that they are an answer to
climate change issues.
Biofuels use combustion to obtain energy.
Combustion releases CO2 + H20.
They still contribute to the buildup of climate gasses.
Granted, biofuels may contribute fewer pollutants than petrol, but I
remain unconvinced that they are an answer to this problem.

Further, biofuels in general create competition for land between human
food and energy production.  I guarantee that in the long run, if
faced with the choice of using vegetation production for human food or
energy, that energy will win out.  Why?  Because Big Business almost
always makes choices based on ultimate income and profitability above
human health and welfare.  This would ultimately create food
shortages, escalating food costs and ultimately famine in many areas.
I recognize that many may see this as a path to zero growth, but in
fact it is a bad path.  Human famine is probably as damaging to the
environment as is human mismanagement.

The advantage of switchgrass in this respect is that people do not eat
it, and frankly neither is it used much for livestock. It does produce
large quantities of forage for use in digesters.  However, I highly
doubt a monoculture of switchgrass would be any more beneficial to
wildlife than a monoculture of oak trees, pine trees, or corn.
Frankly, we already have monoculture of grasses in the form of
hayfields.  2-4 hay cuttings a year must be timed very well to avoid
grassland bird nest damage, amphibians and reptiles are directly baled
up and killed by hay machinery, and modern hay machinery in large
scale hay fields can even lead to baled up rabbits and animals like
that are relatively mobile because such wide swaths are taken with the
cutting and rakes.  This is not an attack on farmers haying, or
production of biofuels specifically.  It is just looking at some of
the negatives I see.  Maybe the positives outweigh the negatives for
some folks.  As an environmental scientist, I recognize that we must
manage the environment with humans considered because damage to human
populations will feedback into the environemnt and environmental
policy.  It always does.

The business of business is to make money, all other goals are secondary.