To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] ENERGY Biofuels and their questionable potential Re: [ECOLOG-L] Switchgrass Conference September 2013

I too am pretty concerned about the CRP reductions.
However, based on some work my spouse has been doing, there is a lot
of CRP (at least what we are seeing) that that would never be farmed
for much, often not even hay due to the steep terrain or exceptionally
poor soils.  Meanwhile, many parcels are very small and frankly
unmanaged weedfields.  They play a role in erosion reduction, but that
is about it.  The subclasses of CRP are very important to evaluate
when addressing this issue.  An acre of weeds is of little wildlife
value except to insects, and many of those inhabitating it will be
largely super tramps and tramps.

I am still pretty perturbed with the Farm Bill.
Don't forget the house eliminated funding for food stamps, is that
still in their?
At first, that might not sound like it is relevant to ecology, but
there is a lot more pressure to fish and hunt (and poach) when you
have little to no food than when you have some food.  I recall the
depression was likely a signficant factor to the extirpation of white
tailed deer in many areas going into the 1950s.  Folks ate them, my
grandfather lived on deer in Escanaba Mi from the time he was born
until he left for the navy in WWII!  Lots of people did, and it is
largely unrecorded.  This contribution to species impairment is
assuredly ignored.  What impact does a large population of unfed
people have an wildlife populations?
they really need to fund the food stamps and CRP among a lot of other
things in the farm bill.
Anyone not fed up with the legislative, executive and judicial
branches of government?