At 10:29 PM 9/12/2008 -0700, michel paul wrote:

>The first homework assignment in my math classes this year was to download and
>install Python.  I've been using it most extensively in my FST (Functions
>Statistics Trig) class.

Sounds like the same class I took as a high school Junior in 1963.  It was all
pretty new at the time, right after a major revision in the curriculum.  We
need another Sputnik!!!

>After class I asked the kid if what we were doing made any sense, and he was
>beaming.  He said yes, and he couldn't wait to get home to download Python.
>That was very encouraging.

I remember laboriously making a plot of sin(x) on a large sheet of graph paper,
using values from tables in a big book.  This wasn't an assignment.  I just
enjoyed doing it.  I remember thinking - where do sine waves come from?  Do
generators really make sine waves?  Seems like parabolas would be simpler.

If only I could have applied that energy and enthusiasm to learning the
fundamentals of computing ...  Instead my introduction to computing a few years
later was truly awful.  It wasn't considered a subject worthy of study at
Caltech.  Now after a long career in engineering, I'm learning some basic
computer science by helping with classes at U of A.

>What I want the kids and colleagues and administration to understand is that
>this is not something on top of the algebra, this IS algebra!  It's algebra
>that RUNS.  It's 21st century algebra.

I like your presentation of list comprehensions as set notation.  It helped me
see the utility of the syntax, and appreciate its compactness.  I was thinking
of list comprehensions as just another twist I had to learn to read other
people's programs.  Now when I see one, I don't have to parse it in my mind to
understand it, and I use them all the time.

This also seems like a good way to squeeze some computing into an otherwise
orthodox curriculum.  It's just a tool for doing algebra, not a frontal assault
on the status quo.  If Python gets a foothold at U of A, it will likely be just
a tool to do some simulations in an advanced networking class.  Learning Python
is easier than learning OPNET.  Oh, and by the way, it's not just a network
simulation language.  It's useful in just about everything you will do
involving computation!

Keep up the good work!