Hello, edubuntu developers,

This query probably belongs with the regular Edubuntu listserv but maybe
someone here will kindly explain what is probably obvious to most.
I currently have a dual boot system with SUSE on the master harddrive and
Ubuntu on the slave harddrive, a system which was working well until:
I tried to replace the Ubuntu OS with Edubuntu, using the Edubuntu 6.06
installation
disk. In updating other LINUX systems (Redhat, Fedora, various
versions), I have
been informed at the beginning ot the installation process that there
are other OS's in
place and did I want to replace/update the LINUX OS. In the case of
Edubuntu,
I got no such message and in fact, when I kept the installation going
until it reached
a repartition stage and then backed out, I discovered that while the
SUSE system was
intact, I could not get a normal login into Ubuntu.

After numerous attempts to "install" xwindow packages with aptitude, I
now still
have a non-functioning ubuntu system. I can work in the command line
mode with
no problems (obviously, since only that way could I use aptitude) but
cannot get
the GUI to function properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for
1. making my Ubuntu system work again.
2. Better: replace my former Ubuntu system with the Edubuntu 6.06 system. I
really want to do this to check out some features I want to use in an
international
school network.

Is there some reason the Edubuntu 6.06 install disk does not give an
update option?

Looking forward to your wisdom, Ralph M. Deal
retired P.Chem. professor doing some volunteering in the Thuringia
International School