Thanks for the advice, Jonathan,

>On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 22:02 +0200, R.M Deal wrote:
>

>>Is there some reason the Edubuntu 6.06 install disk does not give an
>>update option?
>>

>It might be because your Ubuntu version is the same version as the
>Edubuntu version?

Or even a later version - quite possibly.

>Edubuntu is essentially the same as Ubuntu, it just
>has a different configuration and some additional packages (and some
>removed for disc space purposes). If you want edubuntu, you could add
>the Edubuntu CD in synaptic as another source, and install
>edubuntu-desktop edubuntu-artwork edubuntu-artwork-usplash and
>edubuntu-docs, then you will basically have an Edubuntu system
>installed.

I did essentially that today on an Ubuntu computer at the school by installing
edubuntu-desktop
which brought in nearly everything else, perhaps not the artwork and the docs -
I'll have to check.

One interesting problem which someone might be able to fix:
Several of the packages installed were for lilypond, a music scripting
utility I've
used for some time.  I'm not sure why they were included since they take
quite a
bit of space.   Anyway, during the installation, there was a problem
with the
lilypond-data package.  Afterwards I asked to remove all the lilypond
packages which
was done except for the lilypond-data package again.  I've tried several
times to remove
that package several times since but the problem persists.  This is a
15Meg file I'd really
like to clean out.

    Best, Ralph