> On 10/06/2015 05:31 μμ, David Groos wrote:
>
>> Thanks Alkis for this information!
>>
>> Questions:
>> --I could put 2 hard drives on the classroom server and install the
>> system on one HD and /home on another HD. Seems like that would
>> significantly improve performance during those times when some clients
>> were booting and others were logging in, but that's just an idea. Your
>> guess/knowledge on this?
>>

> The root file system (/) doesn't matter much as it's aggressively cached
> in RAM, provided of course that your server does have enough RAM.
> But it's nice to put /home in an SSD, since many users need write access
> there in parallel. I have no benchmarks about that yet though.

It's also possible to use SSD as a cache layer for a normal spinning drive
using dm-cache (or bcache, etc.). dm-cache has worked well for us on /home
partitions. Writes are fast and most of the user data seems to sit there
unused, so also most reads are fast.

In our case we have home partition on LVM and SSD drive is used as a cache
layer. Those are then combined to cached-home device that is mounted as
/home. We wrote some tools to manage the dm-cache partitions (
https://github.com/opinsys/dmcache-utils), but I've understood that there's
now also lvmcache.

Veli-Matti