From: edubuntu-users-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:edubuntu-users-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of David Groos
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:54 PM
To: Veli-Matti Lintu; Edubuntu Users Group
Subject: Re: Setup used in Greek Schools

Thanks all for weighing in. I didn't know about the role of caching for root
file system (i.e. /) in LTSP but it makes complete sense why /home should get
the ssd love not the root which I had supposed. I'm now questioning if the 4
gigs of RAM that I used for the "teacher computer" in my classroom was enough.
Any sense of amount of RAM that would mostly avoid this bottleneck? Let's say
one was running 14.04 Ubuntu.

The dm-cache sounds the most eloquent solution but is beyond my tech
knowledge/resources so using the SSD for /home seems like the way to go. If I
can't get any SSD's, is there any reason to use 2 standard HD's in some format
such as a RAID or dividing off the /home partition? Our teacher computers will
be i5's with space for at least 2 HD's.

BTW, here's a nice 2014 TEDx presentation on Libre software by Richard
Stallman--probably some have already seen it:
http://teemuleinonen.fi/2015/06/09/why-freelibreopen-source-in-learning-is-important/.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Veli-Matti Lintu <veli-matti.li...@opinsys.fi>