Chères et chers collègues,

Pour rappel, Javier Cumpa (Université complutense de Madrid) donnera une
conférence au Collège de France le 17 mai prochain, dans le cadre des
activités de la chaire de Métaphysique et de Philosophie de la Connaissance
du Professeur Claudine Tiercelin.

La rencontre aura lieu à 14h, en salle 2, au RDC du bâtiment principal du
Collège de France (11 place Marcelin Berthelot, 75005 Paris).

*Javier Cumpa*
"*Naturalistic Neutralism*"
*Abstract *: According to Universalism, properties are universals because
there is a certain fundamental tie that makes properties capable of being
shareable by more than one thing. On the opposing side, Particularism is
the view that properties are particulars due to the existence of a
fundamental tie that makes properties incapable of being shared. In this
paper I argue, first, that universality and particularity can characterize
a property if and only if there is a universalist or a
particularist fundamental tie, and, second, that it is unclear that these
should be the fundamental ties that connect ordinary and
scientific properties to their respective bearers. Then I develop an
alternative approach to properties and the fundamental tie, which
is neutralist because it dispenses with universality and
particularity as features of properties,and naturalist because it
naturalizes the possession of properties
by replacing metaphysical fundamental ties with a scientific one, in
particular, a physical process. I show how this approach improves our
understanding of properties and instantiation.

Entrée libre, sans inscription préalable, dans la limite des
places disponibles.

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: Logo CDF Signature.jpg

--
Pour toute question, la FAQ de la liste se trouve ici:
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/

Répondre à