At 03:02 PM 9/17/2004, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote...

>I thought we had removed the comments about K2 server from the web page a long
>time ago, but I suspect there is still something in the installation notes
>that come with K2Remote. I'll take that out too.

The readme file which K2Remote installs states:

"Control over a TCP/IP network (local or internet): The K2 Remote Connect menu
also contains a 'TCP/IP K2 Server' option...(Note: K2 Server has not been
uploaded to the web site yet. It will be uploaded by 10/31[/2001!]. ecs)"

A search of the archives (
http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=remote+and+server+and+wa6hhq&submit=Search%21&idxname=elecraft-list&max=10&result=normal&sort=score
 ) shows:

"I'll follow it next week with K2 Server, which acts as the host side of the
link for K2 Remote when controlling the K2 over a network." - ECS, 2Nov2001

"I'll release the version of K2 Remote with the type ahead CW feature first,
followed by K2 server." - ECS, 10Dec2001

"Now that the main crush of finishing the K2/100 has passed, I'll be releasing
K2 server with the new version of K2 remote. K2 remote will include K2/100
support and several other enhancements (CW message memories and type ahead.)
I expect to have it ready in about 3 weeks, other tasks permitting" - ECS,
23May2002

Nothing relevant since, and the posted K2Remote is from 10/30/2001.

>With the excellent client server implementations by K2Net and others we
>decided to leave K2Remote as is and concentrate on new products some time back.

That was apparently never made public.

> It was originally writen as a free demo of what might be done to control the
> K2 via RS-232 and to serve as a stimulus for others to write their opwn
> applications. As can be seen from the list at
> http://www.elecraft.com/k2_remote.htm , we was successful :-)

Does/will Elecraft stand behind/support those applications? K2/KIO2 owner's
shouldn't have to pay for a supported, actively maintained remote control
solution, as a free one was promised. The web site still states:

"K2 Remote is a new remote control program designed for the K2 that runs under
Windows (95,98, 2000 & ME). It requires the KIO2 RS-232 control option for the
K2 to operate. It is included via this page as part of our KIO2 option. New
versions will be available here for download at no additional charge as we add
features to K2 Remote. K2 Remote is a work in progress - we welcome your
suggestions! "

There is nothing anywhere to suggest that K2Remote is or was intended to be
just a "demo," and much promise for a more fully featured, supported and
working solution. Everyone who's bought a KIO2 has paid for that.

I like K2Net, but the author implies that it's unstable and isn't being
actively supported. It seems he might support it, if it were worth his time.
That's where Elecraft comes in - you've promised something which is
undelivered. K2Net seems to be able to fulfill the features promised, and more.
It just needs to be further developed to where it's a trustworthy solution.
IMO, the easiest way for Elecraft to fulfill it's promise would be to pay G4ILO
to do that further development and officially support K2Net as the next
generation, freely available, K2Remote/K2Server solution.

It's certainly your decision how to proceed, but to simply leave K2Remote in a
"demo, no further development" state isn't ethical.