> I recently finished my KX-1 and installed the ATU board only to find that my
> ouput is only about 0.9 watts on 40 and 0.2 on 20.

I had a similar problem in my recently completed KX1.  I solved it by
redoing the step in which you null the voltage reading from the trimmer
cap (step says to set your meter at 2-3 VDC max, etc..)

The first time, I attached a 40 meter antenna, which may or may not have
presented a proper 50 ohm load.  The null was at about 78 mV.  The
second time, I used a real 50 ohm dummy load, and got the null down to
zero volts, easily.

Don't forget to set ATU to "CAL" in the menu, rather than "TUNE", before
doing this.  Also don't forget to set it back to "TUNE" when operating
for real :)

Power is back to normal, showing about 2 watts on the 40 meter antenna,
under battery power.  Haven't tried external 12 VDC yet.

Good luck and email me directly if I can be of any more help.

Wayne/Eric and all: this KX1 is simply fantastic.  Nice user interface,
nice quality kit, great sounding CW note (monitored on separate rx),
very very happy op.  Have yet to make my first QSO and looking forward
to it.  Nice job.

--Andrew, NV1B