Two comments - see below

73,
Don W3FPR

-----------------------
Good idea, but test it first - some MP3 encoding formats do not do code
well, I prefer to stick with .wav files.
-------------------------

> I've thought about recording on-air QSO's and replaying that as well.
> Anybody have any decent software for copying off air to disk?

-------------------------
Try Total Recorder - it will record anything that you can put into or
through the sound card - even streaming audio.  See
http://www.highcriteria.com/ - well worth the $11.95 price if you do any
computer based audio recording work - I have used it to convert old audio
tapes to CDs as well as record off the air stuff.  It will produce audio
files in a variety of formats and quality levels.

Should you want to get fancy with audio files, try teaming Total Recorder up
with Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (good, free audio editor -
cross platform too) and the Quintessential Player http://www.quinnware.com/
(a nice free audio player that plays everything except .wma files - it even
plays ogg-vorbis format for those who prefer open-source software)