David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
> I think I must be very fortunate, since I appear to be able to
> determine many more colours than 16. Not having been able to build my
> P3 yet (waiting for the nuts!), I can't be sure, but it looks like
> the cursors are both U channels, what if one was an upside down U,
> would that help?

Yep, they're both little square "U's."  I didn't have any problem using
them.  Without the sub-rx, you always receive on whatever is in VFO A,
so it's sort of moot, you're listening at the cursor on the center
frequency, and if VFO B is not on the same frequency, it's the other
cursor.  I don't know if the U-channels swap colors when you do an A|B
on the K3, but it doesn't matter.  My K3 doesn't have the sub-rx, so I'm
not familiar with its operation.  Rick's K3 had the sub-rx and I'm not
sure of the P3 cursor behavior when you do A|B in that case, I didn't
try it.

There was no manual at the operating position [it was at the West Coast
CW Gathering in Reno Nevada and we were signing W6FOC/7 from the 17th
floor of the Peppermill Hotel], however it can't have taken me more than
3 or 4 minutes to figure out the basics of the P3.  The controls were
very intuitive, I somehow knew that tapping DISPLAY would [eventually]
get rid of the waterfall and fill the screen with the spectrum and it
did.  I'm sure there are a host of features I didn't get to, but I was
using it on the air very quickly.  It came across to me as highly
consistent user-interface engineering, just like I expected from Aptos.

The "16 colors, Windoze default" is a "sort of joke," although a lot of
males seem to be less sensitive to closely related colors than females,
and many who can name colors don't really care, one kind of green is as
good as another :-)  And in the "Think before you ask" department,
people often ask me, "Well, just what colors can you see?"  The answer
of course is "All of them ... I just can't name them."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org