> The foregoing probably answers my own question which is this: will
 > the P3 markers/cursors that show the A and B VFO frequencies account
 > for the case of both RIT and XIT being engaged at the same time?

Since the P3 does not operate in transmit, XIT is a moot point but
both the cursor and "current frequency" show the effect of RIT.

 > A related question is why doesn't the K3 just report the actual
 > displayed frequency when queried?

Because the displayed frequency is the VFO Frequency +/- RIT and
RIT is reported in the IF "broadcast" or in response to RO.  It
would be difficult for many computer applications if the "VFO"
frequencies were jumping around between transmit and receive.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV