Jim and all,

Looking at the schematic for the K3 mic input, it is an op amp  with a
gain of 10.  It looks to be a classic differential amplifier with a 10k
resistor in both the + and the - inputs.  That would produce an input
impedance of about 20k ohms.  Matching is not necessary (nor desirable).

So yes, it is not a "600 ohm input impedance" - it is the nominal
impedance for a typical driving device which will produce sufficient
voltage swing for maximum input - that is a LOT different than "matching
impedance".

In audio applications, this is quite common - the driving impedance is
not matched to the input impedance of the receiver.  Instead, the
"impedance" of the driving device will dictate the voltage and current
required for operation.  The op amp only cares about the voltage
reaching the input of the IC.  The driving voltage will meet the input
impedance of the op amp and current will flow.  As long as the driving
voltage is within the range of voltages expected by the transceiver
designer, then the impedance of the driving device does not matter either.

In other words, the K3 mic "input impedance" is a derived value, and has
nothing to do with reality - it all has to do with the voltage and
current characteristics of the driving device (in this case, the
microphone).

In other (2nd other) words, do not calculate based on the nominal "input
impedance" of the receiving op amp, it can be very different than stated
- the voltage swing is what really matters.

Jim is correct - it is quite common to have high input impedance devices
in the audio world - maximum power transfer is NOT the goal, but an
appropriate voltage swing is required to drive the device, and that is
often dictated by the capability of the driving device, and not by the
input device.  Impedance matching is not required.  That has been the
case since op amps came into common use in the audio field - no
impedance matching, just provide enough voltage swing to operate the op
amp as the designer has required.  Low impedance driving devices may not
provide enough voltage swing - so the "600 ohm" specification can be
construed as stating "a typical 600 ohm driver  of the type expected
(typical microphone output) will provide sufficient voltage swing for
proper operation" -- it says nothing about the actual input impedance of
the receiver.

This is quite different than transmitter PA stage output circuits which
require matching to (typically) a 50 ohm impedance for maximum power
transfer.

73,
Don W3FPR