Tom,

It won't help you with that task right now since you have already done
the deed, but the process is easy.
For removing the male headers, you can tug on one pin with pliers while
heating the solder - that pin will come out - continue while they are
all out.
For the female headers, the plastic cover can be removed by prying it up
a bit at a time starting with a sharp instrument like a knife edge and
progressing to a screwdriver tip.  Once the cover is off, remove each of
the pins one at a time.

Ok, the header pins are removed, but you still have solder to clean up
so you can put the new part in - use solder wick to remove as much as
you can, but there will likely be some left in the holes.  I like to use
a stainless steel needle - heat the solder pad and push the needle into
the hole.  If you do not have a stainless steel needle handy, a wooden
toothpick will also work in a similar manner.

Even though I have a de-soldering station, I often use the needle method
to open the holes.  It works for me.

73,
Don W3FPR