Randy,

I do the same thing but I use an SGC-239 tuner at the base of a 43'
vertical.

Try going into the configuration mode of the K3 and set the tune power
to 10 watts.  Pick a frequency and push and hold the xmit/tune button on
the K3 so you'll send 10 watts or less to the mfj tuner to start a tune
cycle.  Once you get an acceptable swr you should be able to transmit at
100 watts.  After you do this on all the bands that you normally operate
on the, the mfj tuner should remember it so quick qsy's are accomplished
without pressing the tune button.  A couple dits from your paddle should
do it there after.

Rich - N5ZC