> Or even simply replace the antenna with the dummy load to make sure the
> tuner actually works remotely.  It seems to me that some basic trouble
> shooting here might possibly supplant a whole lot of conjecture.

I agree with Dave.  Disconnect the coax from the MFJ ATU.  Terminate the
line with a 50-ohm load.  Look at the input end with your MFJ analyzer and
the K3's SWR meter.  If all checks out, then reactivate the ATU and place
the 50-ohm load at the output of the MFJ ATU and invoke the autotune
function.  In both cases, SWR should read reasonably close to 1:1, and Z
measured on the MFJ analyzer (if it reads more than just SWR), should be
close to 50 ohms.  Probably stating the obvious, but also check to ensure
that the unit is really being powered by +12V to +15V and that regulation is
good (low voltage drop) during the tune sequence.

Paul, W9AC