I wish I had a 700 Hz filter because I like the DSP in the 400-700
region. My reason for this is that when a narrower filter is in use, it
tends to have many signals with about the same tone. At least for my
hearing, I need and like to have a spectra of audio signals. Sometimes I
get the lower tone ones and sometimes the higher ones. Also,
notwithstanding the "reverse beacon" phenomenon, there are usually
callers who are off frequency enough that a narrow filter will miss
them.
Incidentally, some of us suspect the reverse beacon spots are not the
issue that people think. We observed the pileups got much bigger when
clusters spots showed up. We suspect the RBN spots are used by
contesters and general dxers are still using and favoring the DX
clusters.

Fred Cady
fcady at ieee dot org