A few thoughts....

Maybe Elecraft is the gold standard for kit building because they DON'T use
SMTs.

Maybe many hams don't consider building with SMTs relaxing or fun although
THEY CAN DO IT. It may not be that hard, but for many it is not much FUN.

Maybe Elecraft realizes the number one kit building problems (unsoldered and
poorly soldered joints, wrong part installed) will dramatically increase
with very tiny, cryptically marked or unmarked parts that often look
IDENTICAL. Rework will be a nightmare for Elecraft and the hams that build
the kits.

Maybe many hams don't have and are unwilling to invest in the specialized
equipment needed to safely and easily rework, if not build with SMTs.

Maybe Elecraft is concerned about losing their customer base which may not
be ready to embrace SMT assembly for MANY reasons.

Maybe we forget that SMTs were developed for MACHINE assembly, not hand
assembly. While "builders for hire" might be an alternative, maybe it would
be cheaper for customers for Elecraft to hire it out to MACHINE assemblers.

Maybe quality builders for hire are not interested in hand building complex
kits with SMTs.

Maybe monoband transceivers that fit inside a 9V battery case are
interesting novelties, but not of much use for hams who build the gear
Elecraft made their name with.

I'll pass on the beta testing. I'll probably pass on an SMT kit. I build for
fun. If it isn't fun, I might as well get one built better than hand
assembly by some machine.

Eric
KE6US