Vic wrote:

>... most likely, future kits will include machine-made SMT subassemblies
>which will be put together by the builder.
>
>Is this bad?  I don't think so.  I didn't complain about not building
>the microprocessor in my K2!

I think it would be great.  Think of the construction time saved, the reduced
opportunities for construction errors and missing parts, and the increased
completed system reliability that would result.

I know there's not a whole lot of regard for the little MFJ Cub QRP rigs that
have been out for a few years, but one of the really wonderful pioneering
characteristics of this kit is the use of pre-assembled SMTs on the PCB for all
the mundane and boring components like fixed-value resistors, capacitors,
transistors, and ICs.  The components that are hand assembled are the frequency
determining inductors, transformers, crystals, variable resistors, connectors,
etc.  As a result, there is very little in the way of small parts to inventory
or lose, and the kit goes together in no time.

If only the Cub design had used a separate LC VFO stage rather than using the
one that is integral to the first 612 IC to reduce drift, and used a larger
non-SMT PA driver transistor (better key-down power output stability), these
would be quite servicable.

I'd have loved it if my K1 kits had been predominantly pre-assembled SMT.  In
fact, that's one of the few things I can think of to improve the K1.  I'd buy a
mostly pre-assembled SMT version of a KX1 in a heartbeat.

73,
Mike / KK5F