The USNS and the gray hulls in the Ready Reserve fleet all carry R/Os.
Those ships still have real radio shacks with HF gear in them although
they get used on Mil frequencies not on maritime freqs.  Also, secure
satellite, etc.  Need a "Secret" clearance to get the job these days.

I think all the commercial ships dumped R/Os as fast as they could when
GMDSS came into being.

I actually re-licensed in 2003 and took a couple of ships over the the
Persian Gulf for OIF-I and OIF-II.  Taking the 2nd Telegraph *again* was
kinda fun..  [Ending my involvement in the thread now. Sorry to stray so
far and for so long..]

73,
-Doug, W7KF