John,

You would be referring in a keyboard to ASCII conversion.  During my
early years (1970s timeframe), with homebrew computers, I actually had a
keyboard that had ASCII output, but that gave way to the IBM PC keyboard
which has been the de-facto standard ever since.

So,if you can discover an IBMPC keyboard to ASCII converter, you could
feed that output to the KX3 and it would do digital for you.

In the meantime, there is PSK D and FSK D data modes that will accept CW
keying and produce PSK31 or RTTY output from the KX3 - *and* will
display the decoded text in the VFO B display area.  That is indeed
quite an accomplishment.

73,
Don W3FPR