Bill,

True, true -- but the situation with the KX3 is different than what has
transpired with previous products.
Previously, the conversations of the Field Testers have been on a
private forum.  While that is still true with the KX3, there is a lot
more information that is "in the open".  My guess is that it is due to
the KX3 Yahoo Group, where a lot of questions are posed.  Wayne and Eric
have been willing to respond to a number of those questions, and I
believe that has set the stage for the present level of 'openness'.

 From my standpoint, "Thank You other Elecraft customers" for being
patient while the process of final development, Field Test, and
production ramp-up are taking place.  There are a few that expect
immediate results to problems, but for the most part, customers have
been very accepting of the inevitable delays in (optimistic) plans, and
the resulting turmoil that each delay can create inside Elecraft.

Delays in the original plan (SWAG) are inevitable.  It is impossible to
attempt to predict the schedule of another company ( read 'supplier')
until you have commitments for price, quantity and schedule in place,
and that is difficult to accomplish unless you have real numbers that
the supplier can quote on.  That is only one of the possible things that
can happen.

I have observed that the KX3 plan and schedule has been more open and
transparent than most previous products.  Whether that is good or bad
depends on the customer acceptance of supplier delays, field test
reports that result in tweaks to the product, or problems in training
new people to enable ramp up to full production status.

So far "all is well", but the future remains to be seen.

73,
Don W3FPR