On 7/22/2012 7:19 AM, Ted K8AQM wrote:
> Has anyone connected the ICE 419 filter box in the "automatic mode" with
> their K2 and still used the db-9 for computer logging?  If so, how did
> you do it?

I haven't done exactly that, but it can certainly be done with a home
brew cable that uses only pins 2, 3, and shield of the DB9 connector for
the serial connection, breaks out pin 4 from the computer to send CW and
pin 7 for PTT, and breaks out the Aux Bus to a KRC2.  I've done all of
that except the feed to the KRC2, which then controls the 419.  See the
manual for the KRC2 for details of wiring between the KRC2 and the K2.

All you need are some good quality DB9s that you can solder to (some
cheapies melt) and a suitable length of CAT5 or CAT6.

Note that the "official" serial cable for the K2 was NOT twisted pair,
which is a bad thing. Untwisted signal and control wiring is well known
to be susceptible to RF pickup, and it caused my computer to shut down
at power levels as low as 12W when using a long wire antenna ending in
the shack.  I solved the problem by replacing that original cable with
CAT5.

73, Jim K9YC