The reason it's costing you so much to ship your K3 is not insurance,
but where you're taking it be be shipped. UPS isn't making that money,
whomever owns the "UPS store" you're taking it to is. Don't ever use a
UPS "store" if you have a choice. Take it directly to a UPS owned
customer center or a FedEx or FedEx Kinkos. It shouldn't cost more than
$30-$35 to ship your K3 to California fully insured for its value (and
more!). If you take it to a UPS "store" rather than an actual UPS or
FedEx owned customer counter, then you're not only allowing yourself to
get shafted, but you're helping them do it.

73,
Scott, N9AA