On 8/19/2012 7:54 PM, Jeff Herr wrote:
> Can someone explain why an external interface product, signalink, rig
> blaster, etc is needed between a kx3 and a laptop?

It depends entirely on WHAT you want to accomplish with your laptop, and
HOW GOOD you want it to be.  Others have covered the spectrum display
issues, so I won't repeat that.

Another thing we do on a computer, laptop or otherwise, is generate and
decode digital signals. In general, the generic sound cards built into
computers aren't that wonderful, and a DECENT sound card will have much
better A/D linearity at the lower end of its dynamic range, as well as
less analog audio distortion. The result is usually greatly improve the
decoding of digital signals.

In careful testing, I found that, on average, even a carefully selected
el-cheapo USB sound card DOUBLED the number of JT65A decodes that I got
on each pass compared to the stock sound card, and let me copy signals
much deeper into the noise. I also saw improved performance on RTTY.

I recommend the low cost Numark and the low cost Tascam, about $30 and
$70 respectively at B&H Photo. Both decode equally well, but the Tascam
is more adjustable and flexible to accept a wider range of input and
output levels.

73, Jim K9YC