"Reputable" companies also sell oxygen-depleted cables to audiophiles.

You can't cheat mother nature, no matter how hard you try.  I don't doubt that
they can display whatever they want, but as to actual, significant data
displayed thereon, that's a different matter.

A single channel of adc samples at 48ks/s can only display VALID unique
frequency data up to 24 kHz before the spectrum "folds over".  Since both I and
Q can be used, they effectively double the sample rate, as if you were sampling
at 96k.  Not exactly correct, but close enough.

Nyquist -who is still valid in the real world - theory says that you can only
recover signals whose freq is up to one-half the sample rate.  Again, I am
generalizing, but close enough.  So, one-half of 96k is 48k, not 96k.
Factoring not involved.  48k total bandwidth before the spectrum folds over.
Doesn't matter what the display says.  Try it on Rocky, Powersdr, hdsdr,
winrad, etc.

I'm not saying that Joe or Larry are doing anything wrong, just that if your
sound card (or DDC or other device) is providing I/Q samples at 48ks/s per I/Q
pair, th best you can get is a total of 48k of valid, unique, and correct
spectrum data points.  That usually results in plus and minus 24khz being
displayed around center frequency.

To say that you can display 96k of unique, correct spectrum data from a 48ks/s
rate I/Q pair is, well, not accurate (wrong).  It's like depleting too much
oxygen from your speaker cables.  You end up with a hollow sound, like taking
the oxygen away left too much room for the electrons to bounce around in.  If
you like fuzzy bass, that's ok.

But, I've been wrong before.
Sent from tfox iPad