I use the method (with one change) that is described by Don, W3FPR.

I use 0.025 inch diameter solder.  I tin the pad that I want to
solder, first, with a tiny bit of solder.  Holding the iron on the
pad so the solder is fluid, I use small tweezers to hold the part on
the surface of the pc board and slide it into the solder.  Hold very
still and remove the iron.  After about 5-sec release the
tweezers.  Then solder the other contacts of the part, coming back
after doing that to reheat the original solder point.  Often that
initial soldering needs a bit of reflow.

I avoid soldering the ground side of any part as the first contact as
ground plains typically take more heat to flow solder.  Get the part
attached and finish soldering the grounds.  Use good temperature on
grounds to speed the process.  Heating the device too long can
destroy them.  A bit of flux can help the ground soldering.

Also one should clean the surface of a new pc board before soldering
anything.  It can be as easy as using a pencil eraser which will
remove surface oils which prevent good heat transvfer.  I sometimes
use a bit of alcohol with an acid brush to accomplish the same.

GL,

Ed - KL7UW